Monday 6 July 2015

T-Shirts to Skirts: the Upcycling Edition

I set aside the quilting yesterday afternoon, dug out the old serger, and transformed three t-shirts and a nightgown into little girls skirts.  So.  Much.  Fun.  It helped that there was already red thread on the serger.  I can't tell you how much I dislike threading that thing...

So, this is what I started with:

I wished I had thought of unfolding the t-shirts, but you get the idea

2 hours and 27 seams later, I have skirts for my girl and her two best friends, twins, who have a birthday coming up.  Here's the first one...

The red one for little Miss L.

And the second one:  goes well with it, but not identical... just like the twins.

The blue one for little Miss O.

As for the third one, it's for my daughter and it's a mish mash of what I had leftover.  The t-shirts actually did not yield that much fabric because they were covered in sponsor logos which I did not want to include.  I worked with what I had, and I have to say, it worked out all right!


This back is kind of interesting.  It was the side of the nightgown, which had a slit and a little ribbon with a heart.   I am glad I thought of keeping it.


And here they are all together.  Not bad for two hours of work and recycled materials, eh?


Now to go make one for myself...

5 comments:

  1. Wow...you never cease to amaze me with what you can do with a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! My daughter (14) found an idea on Pinterest (gasp!) where T-shirts are made into a tiered dress, cutting off the top of the shirts for the tiers and using a larger shirt for each tier down. It's on our to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... the upcycling! You're a marvel, Dominique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to follow your blog via email, but you don't seem to offer that option!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great idea to turn old t-shirts into something new. I wonder if that would work with plaid t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).