Tuesday 8 December 2015

Binding Audition

I finished quilting my scrappy mountains, and now it's time to pick a binding.  I think this quilt calls for a medium to dark binding, but should I go scrappy, or not?

Here are a few choices.  I'd love to get your opinion.

1. I picked up this fabric for a song at my guild's yard sale - It is a bit pale for my liking, but it goes with everything (including the backing which I will reveal later)


 2 -  Of all the colours of the red family, from orange to pink to burgundy, this rust colour is my least favourite, but I really like the print, and I remember buying it thinking "it would make a fantastic binding".  Do you agree?


3 - I initially had in mind a dark binding, and have a few browns in this quilt, so I dug out this old civil war reproduction print that I have no plans for.  It might be a bit harsh compared to some of the brighter colours, but it does frame the quilt well.


4 - If I want to go bright, I have this red (which is also in the quilt) as well as a few similar ones to chose from.  I am a big fan of red, but somehow I am not feeling the love... Too busy?


What 's your favourite?  I include a photo of the top... feel free to make another suggestion if you feel inspired.  Lots of colours to chose from.



Thanks for your input!

Linking up to Lorna's Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts.

18 comments:

  1. Any except #4. Hey, I narrowed it down by one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like number one and number three. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rust #2. Second choice would be number 4. Can't wait to see what you go with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My choice is #2, the rust. The color, scale, and non-busyness of it are what appeal most to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, I like no 2, your first instinct was it would make a great binding, they tend to be right! :) Lovely quilt btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like #2 the best also. Love all your pretty colors. I just finished a scrappy mountain majesties quilt for my grandson, but didn't add any binding on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like #4... you know, because no one else does. I think the print has a lot of the colours of the quilt and is both bright and dark at the same time (if that makes one bit of sense). I also like that it's in the quilt top... that's a thing I often try to do. There's my 2 cents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for number two as well. That rust really frames the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like number 3, I think it realy frames the quilt without detracting from the blocks, but hey what do I know, I use multi coloured bindings on most of my quilts! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the rust dots, it just seems to click for some reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt is beautiful! I like the rust or the brown the best for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like number 2 the best. This quilt is going to be really nice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving this quilt!!! In the spirit of a real "use what you have" scrap quilt I'd probably use the brown because it would use up something that might otherwise sit forever...
    Or the red...I liked the red. A lot.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving this quilt!!! In the spirit of a real "use what you have" scrap quilt I'd probably use the brown because it would use up something that might otherwise sit forever...
    Or the red...I liked the red. A lot.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What about a low volume binding to go with your background? This would help to highlight all the gorgeous colours used in your blocks and frame them each along all the edges. Glad to see this quilt finished, Dominique. I remember seeing it on your design wall a while back. Love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).