Thursday 3 December 2015

Throwback Thursday - My Favourite Season

My friend Jenn who blogs at A Quarter Inch from the Edge has been hosting "Throwback Thursdays" for several months now.  On the first Thursday of every month, we are encouraged to link a post featuring a quilt from the past.  For my first participation to Throwback Thursday, I give you - drum roll please - My Favourite Season (can you guess what season that is?)

Hanging at the Ottawa Valley Quilt Guild Quilt Show in 2009

My Favourite Season was my first "substantial" quilt.  I started it in 2005 or 2006, and I worked on it for a couple months every fall until I got sidetracked by a baby or a move.  I finished the top in the Fall of 2008 and, having no skills whatsoever in machine quilting, I decided to have it professionally quilted.  Had I not done that, I probably would have set it aside again and lost interest in it.


As a relative beginner quilter, I made a lot of mistakes with this quilt, like skimping on 1/4 inch seam allowances and using a long stitch length.  It is definitely not suited for high usage, but it fits perfectly in my guest bedroom.



I also wish I had known about the tradition of using red squares in log cabins to symbolize the hearth... I am not much of a rule follower, but I think the red squares would have looked better in such a traditional quilt.

The label was entirely embroidered by hand (then I had to machine appliqué it to a background that was then sewn on the backing because I did not leave enough room on the leaves to turn under - not very efficient.  Although I always aspire to make these hand embroidered labels, I set the bar a little high.  It was easy to find the time in those days because I took the bus to work, 30 minutes each way, which made the hand embroidery easy to fit in.  I am glad I thought of crediting the machine quilter (Maggie Fontana of Ottawa) and the designer of the quilt (Diane Doro who used to write for American Patchwork and Quilting) - otherwise I would not have remembered.


I am happy I made that quilt when I did because that is a quilt could never make today.  My aesthetics has changed, and I have less time (or patience) for huge undertakings with thousands of pieces.   I am still in love with it.

Linking up with...

http://quarterinchfromtheedge.blogspot.ca/2015/12/throwback-thursday-volume-5.html

Now go check out what other folks were making back in the day, and maybe link your own throwback project!

5 comments:

  1. Great quilt. I think I'm done with large projects and ones with many pieces. Bring on the baby quilts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt, the colors are fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome quilt! I was always a sucker for giant quilts with tons of pieces. Great label!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... and here I was thinking you loved Christmas more than any other season!? I like how some of your log cabins have red centres and others don't. Then again, I'm a sucker for a log cabin, no matter what the colour scheme. I am so tempted to make a modern one. It's a design that just plain works! Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great example of colourful logs. Christmasy for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).